Saturday 27 July 2019

Bicycle Mania (XII):.... Crofton to Nanaimo

5:00
a bit early.... maybe it's the muscle pain in my shoulders that is responsible.... ....was it the bed or was it carrying the bike up the stairs ?




8:30

That's better ;-)


9:00

'Beautiful British Columbia' has caught up with me again ;-(
When I carry the bike back down the stairs again, the ferry line-up stretches all the way up the hill to my motel..... the cars are just sitting there and half of the drivers are too dumb to turn their engines off.....
.... but the unpleasant smell I notice in the air is NOT from the exhaust this time because the latter is overpowered by the reek of pulp-mill wafting in on a very slight wind from the North.


10:00

I'm shaved and showered but it's still too early to leave.... check-in time does not start until 15:00......





.... and I notice that another change has taken place .... maybe you noticed it.... I no longer bother with North American time notation.... none of that a.m. / p.m. nonsense anymore ;-)






In the news:

Absolute record-breaking temperatures (> 40 degrees Celsius) in Germany wreak havoc in agriculture and forestry, snap Autobahn surface concrete, and even bend railway rails..... HuH? This is like the THIRD record-breaking summer IN SEQUENCE ..... could Global Warming be real ?  

And what do Germans do about it this threat to the world and to their grandchildren's future ?????


They drive their cars ...




10:45

I've been on the road now with the bicycle for 14 days.... and I am enjoying life.... during a phone call with Chantal I realize again that Vancouver is coming closer and closer again... and I realize how I am dreading that....

on y va!



Good Bye to the stupid car drivers in the ferry line up 
(looks like a 2 sailing wait ;-)... 

.....and Hello to almost empty roads with eagles 











Just before Ladysmith:  Instead of the LEVEL road of the highway, the "bike route" goes WAY UP, down a STEEP decline into a valley, and WAY UP again.... I'm sure that the RETARD who designated this as the "bike route" never actually rode a bicycle along here but only knows this route from driving it with his pick-up truck....



In all my days of island living, I forgot how BAD all that highway traffic really is...

.... so I detour away from it through the country side... 






....towards the town of Cedar.

13:00

Time to eat some food... the Cranberry Arms Pub & Hotel might fit the bill.
OMG, Instead of $17 in Fanny Bay, 1 piece Fish & Chips here only costs $10.  Get off the fast highway and life becomes quieter and much cheaper..... the perfect analogy for life!

13:15

Check in is not until 15:00... but I don't really want to wait that long here.... this pub ain't all that comfy.... I leave at 14:00 after paying my bill.  CAD$ 14.50 for a tasty glass of win and a very edible Fish & Chips.... that's more like it!






15:00

The smell in the hallway to my room is already a warning.... it smells like Grandma...old and not quite clean ....
 YUK !  And this SEEDY place costs $150 per night !!!!

And the NO-SMOKING on the balcony says it all..... I'm getting closer to Crazy-Town again....


The great VIEW that Booking.com promised? :


A view of the parking lot
 Look further out and you glimpse the pulp-mill in the distance ....



15:30

nap time!
17:30
The elevator no longer works..... and I live on the top floor.  A newly arrived Dyke on a Bike is her Vancouver true self.   She is rude to me (I simply don't understand why local lesbians HATE me) and she SHOUTS at the receptionist.  Rather that standing next to this vacuum for positive energy I walk up the stairs.

18:00

Time for another smoke... YUP, the elevator is DEAD, LOL.  THANK GOD, I didn't have to carry my heavy saddle bags (3 bottles of wine) to the 4th floor, LOL.

18:15

Feeling peckish and being almost out of cigarettes forces me to go explore Nanaimo....
On my way out, the receptionist tells me to lock my bike to the railing right in front of the office.... we talk and she says that she has had it with the life here.... she is going back to New Zealand....  

18:30

Nana Sushi..
I order a Bento Box and THIS....

is the included Dynamite Roll....this is going to be TOO MUCH FOOD !


There is a young hot couple (early 20s?) sitting at the table next to me.... when I'm done pigging out, I notice the silence.... they only talked to each other earlier when ordering, now they are BOTH doing stuff on their cell phones...  OMG, that silence is oppressive... need to get out of here....



19:30

back in the hotel, the elevator is still not working, and the chicken teriyaki is in the fridge.... that's going to be breakfast....

21:00

....TIRED



No comments:

Post a Comment