Friday 26 July 2019

Bicycle Mania (XI) or Mr. Kim's Convenient Motel:...Parker Island - Galiano Island - Salt Spring Island - Crofton


6:30

It's quiet out here..... very quiet..... the only thing I hear is the call of a big bird.... and then I see the eagle that roosts on this property....


8:15

I need to catch a ferry at 9:55 beyond the big hill on the other island behind the ocean..... so J gives me a lift in the boat this early...





 Cycle up that hill..... there are cyclists WITHOUT motors going up that hill...



Oh WOW, the miserable DIRT-HAZE of Vancouver is visible from here...
I need a new camera..... there is a speck of dirt among the lens elements ....




10:00
I'm on the Polish-built Salish Orca again.... we're a bit late... but I'm on my way to Long Harbour on Salt Spring Island.




OMG, that's Parker Island, where I've just come from !

and somewhere in there is the house...


 

11:30
Moby's Pub again..... I feel sluggish and want to eat something before I take the next ferry.... also I have to waste some time so I don't get to my hotel way too early.  Unfortunately that also means that I have to spend more than TWO HOURS on Salt Spring Island before I can hop on the next ferry.

The Calamari are edible... but nothing special....  
WTF is that French Fry doing my Calamari ?


12:30

2 glasses of wine later.... and my time on Salt Spring has been reduced to 75 minutes.....



Approaching the ferry terminal, I cycle past a HUGE line-up of cars....that's AT LEAST a 2-ferry wait ....


"NO DISRESPECT, But Asian people have a different mentality", says the raisin-faced old lady on the passenger waiting bench to her conversation partner.... She tells the tale that friends of hers from Richmond think they've gone to heaven when they come to Comox... because the COSTCO there has so many fewer Asian shoppers..... 

This country keeps DISGUSTING me... blatant Ignorance and that HICK-type Racism are far too wide-spread.
On the other hand.... Old Raisin-Face is right.   
Asian people DO HAVE a different mentality... THANK GOD for that, LOL.

The ferry departs late by 10 minutes (I can't figure out why... they just don't want to go yet ?)

Again, the ferry reminds me of something that would operate in a country known for many ferry sinkings....


The strangest cloud shapes greet my arrival in Crofton !



Mr. Kim, the owner of Croft Inn Motel is just such a darling.... and I have reason to rummage through memory to dig out a long-forgotten way to say Thank You.
Kamsa Hamnida !



16:00

I'm TIRED...even though I didn't cycle that much today.... maybe it's the realization that from now on the trip is going downhill.... ... NOT in an elevation-related meaning... but because there are no highlights left on this trip... because tomorrow I'm cycling to Nanaimo (mini-hellhole) and the day after back to Vancouver (the Mother of all hellholes !)..... 

NO, I'm not going to a Pub in this town (there are two) to eat.... the trip to the grocery store is short.... but the shock about the selection will last for very long.... yogurt?   3 choices... but at least NONE of them is lactose- or fat-free ;-).... The cheese selection is GREAT....

....as long as you like cheddar, LOL.  I actually surprised that they sell olives.... but the shelf is packed, so I guess no one is buying them.....

When I unlock the bike after shopping, a local tells me that around HERE it is VERY wise to lock one's bicycle...... GREAT... just what I wanted to hear..... so when I'm back in the hotel..... at first I decline amazing Mr. Kim's offer to store the bike in his apartment overnight (I didn't even ask..) but instead I carry the bike up the stairs to the second landing to be able to put it into my room!





18:00

I am SO TEMPTED to just crash into bed.....

20:30

Now that all the guests are back in their rooms, WiFi is ATROCIOUS....or let's just call it almost USELESS...

23:30


No comments:

Post a Comment