Thursday 18 July 2019

Bicycle Mania (III):.... Roberts Creek to Madeira Park


4:00

Shite.... a bit too early for my taste...


....maybe another snooze ?

7:30

I'm cold and feel weak..... and a little intimidated by today's 50 km bike ride !   

9:30

The day is slowly taking shape.... I start packing and cleaning the room... Denise is kind enough to do another load of laundry.... I won't have to do any tonight ....

11:30

ON Y VA!

Before I leave, Denise thinks it would be a good idea to take a picture of me with the wooden Native ....





Despite the SUNNY weather forecast it is partly cloudy and the North-West wind is chilly....










12:15

The headwind brings back memories of fighting headwind all day long in Normandy in 2014 or 2015.... and running out of battery all together... not a nice memory!
When I reach Sechelt, I've only ridden 13 km but the battery indicator is already down by 25%.   So I have lunch at Sima Sushi again AND charge my battery at the same time...
.... the food is average to lousy but I'll need some calories in the hours to come ...

But there is worse news.... the weather forecast changed AGAIN.  Now it predicts a chance of showers by 3 pm, by which time I will probably still be on the road and will get WET.   

NASTY country with its constantly overoptimistic forecast that only tells the truth when you can see the clouds coming already.

12:45

Time to go.... the rain is coming ...

From now on I am in Bicycle Terra Incognita.... Yes, I've travelled this road a few times in a car of friends or of my own... but this is the first time on a bicycle...  and it feels different, because you never really notice steep hills in a car ;-)



Canada, July 18th 1pm.  The sun does NOT rise high enough to illuminate the road without shadows.   


LOTS of Trash on the side of the road.  A Canadian flag being one of the items forces em to GRIN ;-



a deer crossing the road.... not even shy... 



Bored rich people



enough swampy lakes en route ...

Deer #2

Battery #1 runs EMPTY about 5 km before I reach my destination


14:45

I ring the door bell of the B&B people, Dennis & Pamela.  I'm more than one hour early, but they show me to my room...



15:30
The clouds are thickening and the rain is forecast to hit around 6 pm.

A quick trip to the centre of 'town'.... they actually have a liquor store here!  And it also sells the Argentinian organic Cuma wine ;-)  Add some yogurt and salty pretzels from IGA.... 


I am cursing at the yogurt fridge at IGA...   Every small yogurt cup advertises ORGANIC NATURAL.  Followed by "Lactose-Free" or "0% fat".   HOW could that POSSIBLY be NATURAL ?  Yogurt made from fat-free and milk-free milk?   Only people in the Western World would buy CRAP like this.





LOVE the bathroom floor...

17:15

I'm not really THAT hungry yet, but the rain is coming and the Sushi restaurant closes at 19:30.... better go now!


This must be my very first time in an order-at-the-counter and pay-before Sushi restaurant…. But then I’m in the absolute boonies…. so that is forgivable... 


They have 5G WiFi, unfortunately it doesn’t work, and neither does the 2.4 G.


The food (except the chicken teriyaki) is actually not that bad. But the bone-dry chicken teriyaki is SO BAD, that I know that I will NEVER set foot in here again!


18:30

I call Andrea.....  and I now have a scheduled visit after the ferry and before I ride into Powell River.... and a possible dinner appointment... and maybe even a boat visit in Gillies Bay, LOL.

19:00

It's TOO EARLY to go to sleep!  But the constant having to walk to the main road to have a cigarette is pissing me off.... Typical Canadian small-mindedness ....

20:30

BS !
Plans change: Why am I NOT really that surprised at the e-mail saying "OH, you meant July... we won't be there until August.... ".
I had a feeling that something like this would happen....but then why do I always expect people to change for the better?  
I feel that I am too old and wise to still be forced to deal with flaky friends... that includes those who get a pleasant courtesy e-mail after half a year of radio silence and who can't be bothered to reply....




21:30




No comments:

Post a Comment