Wednesday 17 July 2019

Bicycle Mania (II):..Four Days with Friends in Roberts Creek ... and Wemper-Woman rediscovered

4:30
That's it. I simply can't sleep any longer.  I put on all my clothes because it's COLD in my room.
Thang bay o Canada (July in Canada)

And it's drizzling outside ;-(


I end up going back to bed simply because it is too COLD in my room. 


7:00

it's still COLD in my room, the thermostat in the bathroom reads 53 Fahrenheit...that's 12 degrees Celsius .....  I will beg my host to get a space heater for the early hours tomorrow.....

8:30

The temperature on the upper floor of the house is less bone-chilling, so that is where I am hanging out now.... but I'm STILL the only one awake ...  

The trip further North will be complicated..... not only because there will be 1.5 days of RAIN starting on Tuesday but also because there is a severe lack of places to stay along the route .... boonies here I come.... and I'm NOT going to pay $100 for one night in a tent or $250 for a simple motel room!


9:30

There, I finally ordered the shoes for Chuong....
They should be ready when I leave back home in 4 weeks ;-)

10:30

I've made my decision. I'll leave here AFTER the rain and will pay a high price for a suite in Madeira Park, but the trip should go smoothly..... Let's HOPE that the weather forecast doesn't change again !

10:45

toi tro thanh doc lap:   Sink laundry in Canada !  ;-)


That other wine I bought yesterday is going down TOO WELL..... must buy MORE ;-)



sleepy dog

Noon

Google Maps shows a Joe Fresh store in Sechelt...... and I could use new shorts. on y va!



The ride is a CAR-TRAFFIC nightmare.....

There is no proper bike path.... bicycles travel 70 cm from the ENDLESS caravan of pick-up trucks and holiday makers.  The noise and the pollution kills the fun of riding the bike..
Davis Bay.... always worth a stop...

Sechelt: It looks and feels like a Superstore (it even has the PC symbol everywhere) but they call it an "Independent Grocer" in these parts.... I don't care what it's called as long as I can pay with my accumulated credit card points.  The Joe Fresh section is NOT bad. It is NOT terrible.  It is simply ABYSMAL.  I came here to look for men's shorts.   They have some (7 pairs in total?).  ALL BLACK, LOL.

I manage to buy 2 pairs of fresh undies and some Nivea lotion (all together for $30 but I use the points).  NEVER EVER AGAIN.

While I'm here.... I might as well have lunch at Pho Kien Giang.... It's been a while since I've had real Vietnamese food ;-)


A WHITE waitress?   Shite, I was hoping to practice my Vietnamese ;-(

 The white wine is WAY too sweet but the Spicy Mussels are still fabulous
 The other clientele consists of overweight women with overweight children arriving in giant pick-up trucks, LOL.   NO, I kid you NOT!

Time to head back home.....



They call THIS 'nice'?



15:00

The Imp of the Perverse strikes again..... but it's not really the WRONG thing to do; for me it is exactly the RIGHT thing to do, LOL.

About four years ago (I had not found or even thought about My Beach), I ordered a Vietnamese flag, had it delivered to my current host, and had asked them to hoist it for my bicycle arrival.  They did!  It was one of those nice moments one remembers for a long time ;-)


It struck me that this flag should still be here, probably hidden away in some closet.... and after a 15 minute search through about 3 Gazillion Soccer Tournament flags, my heart skipped a beat.... there it is....  the next step is OBVIOUS:











18:00

Sabina and Mike are over for dinner...... Great fun because she is WACKY ! (although he seems to have more of a sleeping-pill personality)


And we kill two French characters:  M&C ;-)
















22:30

Was it the bike ride?  Was it the 1-hour nap?  Was it the Champagne?  I don't feel the least bit tired even though I got up at 4 am! (hint: it was the bubbly)



5:00

My feet are turning to icicles again......

10:30

Thankfully the day heats up quickly.....

12:00

In the news...... the number of HUNGRY people on this planet has risen for the third year in a row.... to 821 Million people..... 
... however, the article doesn't mention whether the number of grossly obese pigs has risen as well....  
And I'm thinking: Musk wants to fly to Mars?..... there are much more important issues to deal with!


13:10

A call to Grandma...... 


She bickers and bitches about her care-taker.......




Why do I keep doing this to myself?   




I get M&S's address on the island....... 

... but something tells me that the water will be a tad too chilly to go swimming ;-(

15:00

I need at least SOME exercise today...... time to hop on the bicycle again ....


First I go to Marks Work Wear House: OMG, it's a Fashion Crime: Ugly beige and brown and grey shorts... LEAVE..... next stop is the Independent Grocer. I already know that they ONLY have a few BLACK shorts...
....but I grab a pair of socks, a potted bamboo plant, and some shaving blades.... I walk to a cashier.... they put the CLOSED sign right in my face.... How courteous!... I line up in at end of the HUGE line-up at the next open cashier and think out loud:  WHAT is going on here? You'd think they open a few more cashiers.  The purple-haired and turtle-faced old white lady in front of my turns around, looks me up and down, and turns back front with an even MORE miserable facial expression.
THAT's IT.  I'm NOT succumbing to the sick allegiance to obedience and misery of this country ... I put my still-filled shopping basket on the floor and just walk out.

16:45

I've bought 3 more bottles of wine and I got some exercise..... good enough!

17:00

In the News:  In Gibsons (that's the next town over from where I am) they were proud of their 3 rainbow-coloured cross-walks....

....until Saturday, when some HATEmonger(s) painted over the colours with white paint...






Makes you wonder WHY so many MISERABLE people live in this country .....







17:30

Sabina & Mike are back and they're walking down for a beach picnic..
... I follow soon after with a bottle and 3 mugs....
....alas everyone but me seems to have an abstinent day.....

wet dog!

20:30
I've managed to secure the space heater.... so I no longer have to FEAR waking up early in the COLD... what a relief ;-)





5:00

OMG, that space heater WORKS WONDERS.... 

Not only are my feet no longer turning into icicles, what is more important, my brain starts working as it should ....

....and I even fall back asleep and sleep until almost 8 ;-) 
No that cheap solar light probably is not worth repairing, Denise

Denise's garden

13:00
it's finally 'warm' outside.  And I've been sitting on my arse drinking wine and munching snacks TOO MUCH !


on y va!


I decide on Sechelt... .the ride is further but much prettier ! 



Today I'm NOT going to the Vietnamese place.  The main reason why I don't want to go back is there TOO SWEET house wine ;-(.....  

So I pick a Sushi place to try.... 


I sit down, order, drink a sip of wine.....


and they seem to have the SAME SWEET wine ....



The Rainbow Roll simply is a California Roll with sashimi/egg wrapped around it...

NOT worth the extra money.... but it hits the spot

15:00

back in the house .... my butt hurts.... I've been riding every day for the last 4 days.... maybe it's a good thing that it will be raining tomorrow ;-)


16:30

I've procured 3 more bottles of the CUMA organic wine and 5 packs of American Spirit (they didn't have a carton, maybe tomorrow ;-) 
19:30
Time to call a woman I haven't seen or talked to in 12 years (NOT my fault, but entirely instigated by her). I'm going to pass through her new town of residence on Friday.  Let's see whether she has changed....

Alas, no one answers the phone....


The house phone I used earlier rings 5 minutes later...... It's A.  GUESS WHERE I AM.... she is visiting a friend who lives only 3.5 km from where I am right now, LOL...

... OMG, KARMA is working overtime again!

OF COURSE, I INSTANTLY get ready to hop on the bike and go for a visit.... 

....much booze is drunk, much talk is talked....the kid who I last saw when he was 2 years old now is 14. A and I get along like we always did..... so much time wasted.

BTW, last Saturday, the fortune cookie from the place with the fortune cookies that ALWAYS seem to hit the spot said " Investigate new possibilities with friends. Now is the time!"


Coincidence?   That u?  Toi khong tin!




23:45




7:30

OUCH.... that feels like a hangover, lOl...


9:00

It's POURING outside...... and I'm glad I decided to extend my stay HERE and am not caught in this weather in some questionable abode somewhere in the boonies.

12:00

Lunch in Gibsons again (Denise is driving ;-)



15:30 I wake up and see the garden illuminated by sunlight.... finally!

18:00

It is Thursday today.  The 17:30 Horseshoe Bay to Langdale ferry will have a one sailing wait for the unfortunate car drivers at the end of the line AND it hasn't left yet, which means it will be more than half an hour LATE...Here this is normal.... But in Asia, the operators would cover their face in shame at such poor performance!  Go Canada Go!

18:30

A last trip to the General Store.... 






another bottle of wine (better safe than dry) and 7 more packs of American Spirit smokes (they are actually not THAT expensive here ;-)



When I look for an image on Google, I notice that the Canadian pack doesn't actually look like the one on the left......




It looks like THIS:

Fucking NANNY STATE !

19:00

An attempt to FaceTime/Skype Saki in Tokyo.... 

....but it's 11 am over there and she is at work..... no connection...


22:00

Tired again....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment