Friday 7 June 2019

Bai Bien Cua Toi (XX)... organizing.... electrical outlets ...... and Tam's BIRTHDAY PARTY

4:00

hom nay la ngay dac biet cua Tam !  whatever that actually means.... it could be her birthday, her wedding day or something entirely different (the day she lost a child?).... but since she is not going home to celebrate it, I'm resolved to at least get her flowers from the market in the morning .....


6:00

I ask the Praying Mantis whether it really is her sister's birthday today..... she briefly looks up from the Word of God, says "I don't know", and keeps reading the Bible...... 


ONLY READING that book all the time does NOT work, woman, you gotta UNDERSTAND it !!!!


The local market is the usual pandemonium..... I'm still not quite myself again so I don't take pictures..... the woman in the fruit stand sees me, grins, and right away points at the trai dua, LOL.  Yes, it is time for a pineapple breakfast ;-)


Tam is back from the market too...... Still not knowing whether it is a sad special day or a happy special day for Tam (Vietnamese is a BITCH to learn ;-), I just hand her the bouquet of flowers with the neutral words "Hom nay la ngay dac biet cua ban"..... it works ;-)

planning time.... 

In the news:  The climate tipping point is near or has been passed....and what are people doing about it?   They're taking selfies, are eating more meat, are driving more cars, and are buying more CRAP.....   YOU might deserve what's coming.... but your children DO NOT !


7:30 

Q is on my terrace again...... and I find out that it is indeed Tam's BIRTHDAY today.... 
Q finally understands my Vietnamese.... he translates to Tam:  Toi yeu cuoi cua ban ;-)

8:00






9:00
It has been DONE.... and I realize that without Bobby's help I could NEVER have done this ..... there will be a birthday party for Tam at Bobby's at 20:00 (Sinh Nhat cua Tam vao tam gio toi ;-)


 NO..... it REALLY looks like that here, LOL


10:00

Time to draw power outlets onto raw brickwork .....



The spark is BACK ;-)


12:00

On the way to Song Cau, I stop by at Nha Chau & Muoi & invite them to the shindig this evening.... because I know Muoi & Tam are close...

Song Cau .... I buy 12 bottles of wine at once.... a new record !

The usual stop at A-Stop and I just NEED to get that picture..... because as soon as I glimpse see the scene, I am thinking SEURAT:





Is it the umbrella?   Or the feeling of leisure?


The colours? The relaxed poses? The sense of family?
Or is it simply a glimpse of times long past?
quoc gia nay rat dac biet !
(this country is very special)

14:15

NAP?

NAP!

15:30

Ti/n is chasing Vietnamese people away that are lounging at the outskirts this hotel's grounds...... they've been there for weeks and everyone was happy..... but the owner has returned....... 'nough said!


16:00

A Strongbow with Thay at Bobby's ... OMG, then I discover it's his second drink of the day and the kid turns into a monster.  A very funny monster, but still a monster, LOL.  Maybe I have convinced Tuan next door that wearing glasses does NOT make him look better?   Who cares about glasses when the guy is funny as hell?  Well, well, WELL !

17:00



HOW do Vietnamese people always know when you take a picture of them ?????


Pilgrimage







18:00

I'm realizing that I'm in way over my head....I'm organizing a birthday party for Tam and I have NO IDEA how many people will show up..... WTF?  But then Bobby has to deal with the logistics and I only have to pay..... so he has the much harder job !

B doesn't make it easier.... I've asked An, but B won't let him off work, and what's worse....  B might not even attend the birthday party of her own sister...... I need to LEAVE for a while.....



19:15

Time to panic....

20:00

Where are Muoi & Chau????  I race over to their house and Moui indicates that she ain't coming because of her baby.... Chau isn't there, but Tu\ng wants to come...... Easy, LOL, hop on the back of the scooter, kiddo!
Well the table is not quite full, but Bobby outdid himself..... and even the reticents have shown up
Tam and Tu\ng


The Cosmo does not happen to be Tam's favourite drink..... Vietnamese women do not drink hard booze....
But through the rest of the long evening, she happily smiles and chugs beers 

,telling me every 10 minutes how many she has had..... 

Midnight: I fall onto my bed .....

No comments:

Post a Comment