Saturday 11 May 2019

Gulag-bound..... FRA-YVR....

6:00

it's POURING outside.... so much for my plan of walking to the bus station later....


8:00

I've ordered a place on the shuttle at 10:00.    Since I'm not having the hotel's Euro 11.99 breakfast (are they KIDDING???) the 9 Euro shuttle no longer seems like an extravagance ;-)  

There is a SAD e-mail from the relatives that live only 3 km away from where I am now..... I thought that they'd still be on holiday in South Africa, but they returned home because her mother fell and is in intensive care, no improvement in sight ........ Shite!   LIVE while you can!


8:30

Time to get ready...... take a shower.... leave the things here that Evil Security would take away from me anyway.... like my corkscrew and 200 ml container of Nivea lotion, the book that I've read 1.5 times, etc etc......
and NO, I don't feel bad for exchanging the drained battery in my noise-suppressing headphones for a fresh one out of the room's TV remote control ;-)


8:50

Another entry in the "you only had ONE job" category.....THIS is the smoke detector in my room.....
.... and NO, smoke can't actually get to the sensor..... and the manufacturer even made the protective cover, which is supposed to be REMOVED after installation, BRIGHT ORANGE....... and I thought people simply could NOT get any DUMMER, LOL.

9:00

Vietnam is testing its new 5G network...... Germany is still refusing to remove huge DEAD zones of its 4G network.... 
....LOL, WHERE is the first world again ?

9:45

The shuttle is already here... might as well go!

OMG, the Condor check-in process is actually bearable... the line moves FAST, the check-in agents are FRIENDLY and I get an aisle seat and they don't weigh my luggage ..... 


Time for breakfast......

I'm paying 14 Euros for a Salmon bagel now, but at least that includes an un-tiers-bouteille of Chardonnay ;-) 

 Four hours to kill until the plane takes off though ;-(

I spy a city name on the flight departure board..... and seeing it makes me smile ;-)

But time passes quickly when you fall asleep on one of those seats in terminal hall ;-)


13:20
Can I get into the plane now please ?  I want to stretch out and SLEEP !  Finally, they let us on.....

I fall asleep quickly.... good thing too because the plane SITS at the gate for 1.5 hours ;-(..... I shouldn't complain....if anyone had spotted any drones around the airport, the wait would have been much longer!

The people on the flight are exactly who I thought they would be.  Germans Over-excited to go to Canada.... they keep the windows open... and keep running around the plane.... not conducive for a good sleep ;-(

FRA-YVR: 1.5+10 LONG hours in a plane
YVR is the usual.....:
long line-up again for Canadians (they're already behaving like cattle) but I hop over into the MUCH SHORTER foreign passport line-up..... typical sneaky Canadian Border Service:   Let's NOT offend all the money-bringing foreigners with a huge line-up but Canadians are used to it so they won't complain!

As I walk through the terminal to the washrooms (still FILTHY) and the train station, I notice how my eyes INHALE the view of all those ASIAN men here in Vancouver..... I guess I went through a kind of visual withdrawal in Germany, LOL.

At least the wait for the SkyTrain is short.... to Waterfront Station... then 8 minutes wait for the SeaBus.... with a view ...
Hello Harbour Seal !




The view from the SeaBus..... Grey in Grey
As I approach the North Shore... there is a familiar view... but NO, it is NOT the Kruzenshtern...
This is the second largest Tall Ship in the world..... and it belongs to the Peruvian Navy...
Later I find out that it is only open for tours on Friday and Sunday.....
... so I missed my chance.... but it brings back memories of JJ & Grandma eating Borscht on the Kruzenshtern in 2010!

The walk to my hotel is a short one..... the check-in experience?..... back to impersonal Canada.... initial for no pets, initial for no car, initial for the security deposit, initial for No Smoking  yada yada yada, the list of things that are VERBOTEN is SO LOOOONG.

And YES, back to Canada:  The room ain't bad, but it doesn't look nearly as fabulous as in the advertising photos... 
....same old same old.... you pay for that but they give you this ...

It's 6 pm and Lonsdale Quay Market right below the hotel closes at 7 pm. I better hurry down there to cover the basics....  Wine from the independent wine seller.... what to do about food?..... let's try Thaigo.... yellow fish Thai curry....
... but by the time I have brought it back to my room, it has turned into a coconut-milk-BRICK.... NOT the best culinary experience ....

7:30 pm  That's it... I can NOT stay awake any longer.....

Awake at 11:30 pm again?
Maybe it's the Thumping Partying NOISE outside ...?

No comments:

Post a Comment