Wednesday 3 December 2014

A reasonably unreasonable Tuesday (with a GORGEOUS sunset)

Judging by the number of people in the water today, it will be a windy (wavy) day.

Max in drag?
I cycle into town for the last time. It is time to return the bicycle ;-(  The 45 minute walk back to the hotel is enjoyable but does not offer too many photographic moments







There is this carved piece of wood that I'm taking home with me.  I've wrapped it in T-shirts and other materials serving as padding and packing.  

Remember my rant about never getting a straight answer?  

I ask Grandma "Do you have any room in your suitcase for this?"

Her answer is "It's OK, I will unwrap it and wrap it".
I say "it IS wrapped".  
She says " Christian, be REASONABLE for once".  

This exchange makes perfect sense if you KNOW that Grandma is the ONLY person on this planet (How dare I? In the ENTIRE SOLAR SYSTEM!) who can WRAP things PROPERLY. Every one else is UTTERLY INEPT when it comes to this task.  I have no idea WHO the adept WRAPPER was before Grandma was born or whether humanity simply did NOT know HOW to wrap before Grandma, but ever since Grandma has been on this planet SHE has been the WRAPPER KING. 


That's REASONABLE, isn't it?


When Grandma gives up that job it will probably pass to a new-born baby, a process similar to the one used by the Dalai Lama, you know?


I am GLAD to be leaving Hawaii !  (UNREASONABLE, you say?)

On later reflection, while it might be strenuous and very painful to one's tongue, one should give someone whose age makes it highly unlikely that they will ever visit Hawaii again, some leeway to be themselves, just this one time.

At 5:30 pm I'm going down to the water for presumably the last time.  The waves provide an amazing spectacle.  Even from my standing-up perspective, some of the crests block the view of the horizon and then crash with torrential beauty.   






On the way back I notice people lying in the sand, their bloated bodies exposed to the evening sun, and their eyes fixed on their tablets or cell-phones.  

As if the waves hadn't offered enough excitement, I have to double-check when I glance out of the hotel window at around 6 pm. I don't even take the time to look for my shoes; I just RUN down to the waterfront to get an unobstructed view of the sky.  I start up my camera while running, because I know how quickly the perfect moment can vanish.









Not even 12 hours after that experience I am scraping the windows of my car in Vancouver.  Arriving at 7 am at Vancouver Airport, I am greeted by -3 degree Celsius.




No comments:

Post a Comment