Monday 18 March 2013

Ever over-cracked your nuts? (or The right tool for the right job)

Grandma's kitchen, being the kitchen of a 'proper' home, contains a device for any imaginable job. Her eyebrows raise every time I drink wine from a water glass, because she has crystal glasses for white wine, glasses for red wine, glasses for Sherry, glasses for champagne, etc etc. It does not stop there, there are escargot forks, fish knives and a lot of stuff I have no idea what it's for.  An ironic moment came when I took her to Lonsdale Quai Market where we discovered that a well-known and rather expensive European glass manufacturer now sells glasses for Chardonnay and different glasses for Pinot Gris (Spare me the Grigio, it's just Italian for the same grape!).  When I pointed this out, Grandma was rightfully outraged at the greed of the manufacturer and the gullibility of the consumer, without even thinking about her kitchen menagerie. In my humble opinion, manufacturer's greed or gullible consumers are far outdone by the nouveau riche attitude of showing off one's wealth with mindless trinkets.  Of course this only works with people that do not have a different glass for everything.  And not even with yours truly, who carries around a Ballard Power Systems advertising mug for everything ;-)
After this long rant, we come to the crux of the matter. The domestic Nut Cracker (And I don't mean a certain type of partner).  It doesn't even matter which fancy design is present in your kitchen, all of them have failed me over the decades. Ever crack a walnut and then carefully pick out small edible nut fragments from small painful shell fragments?  Then you know what I'm talking about.  The picture below shows a nut cracker that is present in almost every house, and which does not suffer from nut-pulverizing rage, due to the adjustable jaw width (I find one setting works for all walnuts). I used this for half a year now, and tiny-pieces nuts were a problem only on the first day when I was trying to find the right setting.
The right tool for the job!

And yes: If Chris ever gets a fixed home again, this will be found in one of the kitchen drawers ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment