Sunday 10 March 2013

Cheering on the German Team at the UBC Ironman

My friend Hans was participating in the UBC Ironman competition today. Along with Joerg, Mike, and various others from the Sunshine Coast, including some of Joerg's children, whose names I am embarrassed not to know.
I slept in, and due to that (together with the unexpected commencement of Daylight Savings Time) I arrived at UBC when Hans had already completed his Swim and Cycle competitions.  I also had to cycle from Blanca street, where I parked the car for free because I had the definite feeling that over the years I have paid more than enough parking fees to UBC.


After finding Denise and being told that Hans was running, I started reversing the running course on the bicycle, hoping not to find a demoralized Hans along the way.  Demoralized he was not when I found him, but my prepared encouragement of "Who wants to be an Iron man anyway? You my friend, are a locomotive made of Kruppstahl! Nothing can stop you!" brought a determined smile to his face.  I accompanied him along the last 3 kms of the course, admired his determination in his quest to overtake the pink Tutu, and then to sprint over the finish line.

Author's note: A humorous tone is entirely the habit of the author and in no way is meant to or should in any way overshadow the achievement of running one of these torture courses. Even though the author docilely nodded when told that next year it would be his turn, the author is harbouring feelings of fear and hate for the disciplines of swimming and running, respectively, and honestly does not think he could do what Hans, Joerg, Mike, and many others did today.





Hans & Denise had reserved a table at Tang's Noodle House at MacDonald Street & Broadway in Kitsilano, and the moderately priced food was excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment