Sunday 3 March 2013

Chilliwack (Bear Country)

 Actually, Chilliwack in the Fraser Valley about 80 kms from Vancouver is not known for bears, but for being a (former) farming community. When I arrived there today, I did not see much evidence of farming though, but rather of a Mikado-stick jumble of fast-food outlets, the usual chain stores, etc. etc. The surrounding area is picturesque with mountain ranges on both sides of the valley, but I'm sure Chilliwack was nicer 50 years ago.
But the reason I went there today was not tourism, but a bear. More precisely a carved native bear mask.  I had seen the ad on Craigslist, but since the ad was already 10 days old, I had not much hope that the seller still had this mask, which was listed for $250.  But he did!  And it was still available despite the fact that several people had called about the mask. They decided it was not for them when they found out it resided in Chilliwack.  I guess Karma ruled they were undeserving ;-) Bear pictures by Don, the previous owner.











Halfway back to Vancouver the intermission in the apocalyptic downpour was over and I started understanding why some people would not drive all the way to Chilliwack. The picture shows my view with my windshield wipers going full speed.






Bear is now getting used to new surroundings after a brief performance  (for First Nations, the bear symbolizes strength and courage) for my friends Yiman and Andrew, who are renting one of those adorable old old tiny tiny Vancouver houses on a standard city lot .  If you know Vancouver, you know what's coming next. They received their eviction last week because the owner, who is living in a rather LARGE house next door is going to tear their house down to build an even LARGER house and a lane house.  Pheasant Somosas, is all I can say to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment