Saturday 20 April 2013

Peng Chau NOT, Mui Wo instead (same ferry pier, next turnstile ;-)

The ferry to Mui Wo left right next to the one to Peng Chau and it left 10 minutes earlier, so I took that one instead ;-)   50 minutes later ( I really should check how long those things take to get where ever they are going!) after a scenic drive that made me forget to take a snooze, we arrived on the Southern tip of Lantau Island (yes, the one with the big Buddha).  Feeling kind of peckish I walked past the bus terminal and checked out the restaurants with outside seating.  An English Pub. A Turkish restaurant. A pizza place next to a restaurant called Roma. Brazilian restaurant and Bar.
WTF?
I had overheard an English-speaking couple talk to a Turkish-looking waiter at the Turkish restaurant and walked back there and said "Excuse me. I seem to be missing something here: Is there any Chinese food to be had in China?"  They pointed out a large seafood shack-like thing across the plaza.  One minute I was off to the 'real food' (TM) place, but in the next minute I changed my mind. These people were quite chatty and seemed nice and I have never been to Turkey and don't remember eating real Turkish food, so I accepted their offer to join them.  The food was quite bland (lots of UK expat there and aren't they known to like their food bland and overcooked?) and the fish inside my fish sandwich was from New Zealand ($#%$%%!), but I spent an hour involved in a very pleasant conversation. No regrets !
For some reason the ferry back was a 'fast ferry' (Catamaran style) that got me back to Hong Kong Central in 30 minutes instead of the 50 minutes it took to get there.  Great afternoon, here are some visual maritime impressions:

My hotel is the baby blue one (reflected sky) ~1/3 of the width from the left

Hydrofoils in action!

The track of the hydrofoil.  I am on a slow boat to China ;-(
Container ship being loaded/unloaded to barges, which are then towed to port
South China Sea:  There be pirates here!

Are we there yet?

Taking corners is a good sign!





















No comments:

Post a Comment