Saturday 23 February 2013

Empire Landmark, Cloud 9, and the views

Saturday morning at the Empire Landmark on floor 34 with a view of English Bay.  Back in a place where seagulls circle below ;-)

Waking up ravenous, I decide to give the Cloud 9 breakfast buffet a chance. $16.95 + 12% HST for a buffet that on the handout sheet available in the lobby does little to impress. An when you meet the actual buffet, you realize they did not under-exaggerate on that hand-out.  The view is nice; they apparently do not rotate the restaurant for breakfast for cost reasons (!), and the food is OK with a mediocre selection.  Still can't complain; one pays for the view.

 But after yesterday's lunch I am used to getting a view for free! In addition: the view from my room is better and I can smoke there!  Restaurant Management maybe did not think about this:  After this experience I am very hesitant to try the advertised 'gourmet' dinner in the same restaurant. And after briefly checking some restaurant review web-sites (dinehere etc) I find my gut-feeling confirmed once again:  Rating 2.5 out of 5, with people giving it 5/5 for the view, so you can guess what part dragged the overall score down again ;-)

But! (oh oh): Tomorrow morning, when Vancouver has donned its wet grey outfit again I will be sitting here again, typing this update on my laptop .  There is something about sitting in a restaurant as the only guest, sitting by a window on the 42nd floor with coffee and food sharing the table space with my laptop, looking over a rainy city, harbour, and Stanley Park, that for me is incredibly conducive to writing.  Go figure!

 


In a typical RTFM (Read the F@#$^ Manual) situation, Conrad, father of my pseudo-nephew Mika) will call me on February 28 to inquire whether he should take Chantal and Mika for Chantal's 40s birthday to the Observatory on Grouse Mountain or to Cloud 9.



No comments:

Post a Comment