Tuesday 19 June 2018

Travels with my Mother I: MomTown to Frankfurt ....

I sleep well today, until about 5:00

So it's already 6:30 when I'm sitting on the cold tiles of my Chinese WiFi 
spot for the last time. 







A quick breakfast at 7:00 and at 7:15 I must discover that the local LIDL doesn’t open until 8:00.   

And here I was trying to numb myself for the day ahead with a fresh bottle of wine …..

That is one of the reasons why I check out early at 9:15 so that I'm surfing & drinking in the Gelato place at 9:45 ;-)
YES, I drank all their white wine ....
10:00
Mother packed the towels and wash cloths in her suitcase AGAIN.  She also has 7 full size containers of Moisturizer in her suitcase.  I manage to convince her to take only 4 of them.  

I meet mother's legal guardian. More a social occasion that one related to mother's travel ;-)

She tells me the tale of an older man in a wheel chair in an old-age home grabbing a knife in the kitchen and threatening to attack another patient.  Seems the anger originated in what the Caretaker calls herd-style soccer-watching.  Mr. potential stabber apparently tried to maneuver his wheelchair into the first row of the herd of watchers but bumped into another wheelchair during this. 
WHY is everyone obsessed with getting OLD if THIS is what awaits us?  


11:15  It's time to LEAVE !

11:50

We're sitting at the ice cream parlour for a meal. 
 Mother is already fussing like mad over the fact that she can't find her comb.   Put together an extremely uncomplicated traveler on one side and my mother on the other.  A recipe for disaster !

12:30 On Y Va !







It's not raining in Frankfurt, so we're going to take a public transit bus to the hotel.


Add caption


17:50
Not my hand, not my pen, not my pic
I have successfully injected my mother with insulin.  The whole time she behaves as if I was subjecting her to an utterly unnecessary and unnecessarily painful procedure. Until I tell her that I'm enjoying this even less than she does.

When it comes time to go for dinner she insists that I never gave her the room key.  It magically re-appears while I go check my room for it.   Mother being Mother of course REFUSES to tell me where it was.   OMG, my mother and grandmother are IDENTICAL.


My mother's facial expression when we enter the Thai restaurant says it all.  Completely beneath what her royal highness deserves, she is thinking.  When ordering the food, she first says that she's not hungry but then picks a duck dish, BUT she doesn't want the onions, she doesn't want the red peppers, etc etc etc.

When the food arrives, she INHALES the duck as if she hadn't eaten in days.  And she likes it.


I had played with the thought about taking my mother on some Indochina travels with me, but after today, I KNOW that this will NOT happen.  

Some shopping at REWE to conclude the evening.  A nice evening walk and some Rioja Rose ;-)  Good thing I already consumed some when I call Grandma to inform her of our arrival time.    Bickering about irrelevant stuff.   One week with 2 female ancestors who are completely detached from reality.  That's going to be SO MUCH FUN, LOL (That was the Rose laughing ;-)

On the way back from REWE
To all those German tourists who keep insisting that the people of Indochina are pigs...

No comments:

Post a Comment