Tuesday 15 August 2017

Counting the days

I have been back in Vancouver one week exactly.

And all the zen-like peace and relaxation I felt and acted only a week ago is gone. And it's the same things as before that make every day hell.  Only they are even worse than before I left.

Not only does the air quality LOOK worse than the already yucky situation before I left, it FEELS much worse.  After being on the bicycle for half an hour, my breathing duct feels like someone poured acid into it.
Today, the air quality in North Vancouver is worse than in Beijing.

I'm longing for the clean air in Saigon, LOL



While it almost possible to get away from the worst accumulation of honking stinking cars, it is impossible to get away from their sounds.  The droning noise extends into the remotest green spaces of this city.

And YES, most of the dirt is due to forest fires in the interior.  HOWEVER, with the human race showing no indication of being willing to take their foot of the gas pedal, temperatures will keep rising, the interior of BC will experience drier and hotter summers, so be prepared for summers in Vancouver to look like this EVERY SINGLE YEAR.


There is a bouquet of fresh flowers at the railing of the span of Lions Gate Bridge.
Another soul couldn't handle this city.

But that's not the way.

A vicious city like Vancouver should not be allowed to win.




Friday. Pre-Trip haircut time.  Riding the bike to East Vancouver is no fun.  Breathing seems difficult and ineffective and an ugly dirt sweat is building up on my skin.  I'm doing laundry every day. Even sweating in Bangkok I wasn't going through so many clothes as here.

One of the first things Fiona says is "I don't like it here anymore".   LOL.  And why would you?
She also doubted her eyes when she saw the coulour of the sunrise this week.  Nope. Your eyes are fine.


Saturday, August 12th.

I am cured !   I can see again !   I can see the mountains again!
The first noticeable wind in 12 days has blown all the dirt somewhere else.   There is still dirt in the air but the mountains are visible again and it is noticeably cooler in the morning.  Hace mucho frio, I shout out to Carlos and he agrees.

Zulema drops by.   She's been fighting fires in the interior for the last month. Her comment:  I wouldn't want to live here !



On August 16th I see that Vancouver AGAIN is the 3rd most livable city in the World according to The Economist.  Toronto is #4. LOL.  

Yes, I contacted The Economist once and found out that this ranking is based on an Angus Reid poll of the residents of the cities in questions.  

So I like to call this list: The List of NO-GO places with delusional fools as residents !
















Sunday, August 13th
It's Fidel Castro's birthday today !
Which means it is also Grandma's birthday.  She was born in 1918 which means that she is 99 years old today.



Monday August 14  10 am

OMG, I'll be in a plane in less than 20 hours !!!
And so much to do while still here in Vancouver !
When having breakfast at Denny's I realize that during my visit to Manila 2 weeks ago  I never laid eyes on Manila Bay, even though my hotel was only 1.8 km from the ocean.  Now THERE is something I can remedy tomorrow, LOL.


2 pm
15 hours until take-off
Time to get rid of the old pick-up truck falling to pieces in the hotel parking lot. The manager has hinted several times now that he would like it gone and it truly has become an eyesore.  When I inform Grandma of the impending demise of her late husband's car, she says what I expect "Well.  You never took care of your cars".  I saw it coming and that's why I delayed the decision for so long (not to hurt her or not to hurt myself?) but it makes absolutely no sense to keep that junker any longer.


4 pm
The pick-up truck is on its way to the car cemetery



No comments:

Post a Comment