Tuesday 18 June 2013

Seagulls. Seagulls? Ouh La La, France Ahoi!


I get up at 4 am Irish time (5 am French time) to catch a sunrise, that is quenched by inclement weather.

 But there are 3 seagulls out there that assemble in a certain upwind area of the ship to draft (not dumb those seagulls ;-).  Naturally I wonder whether they are British seagulls, French seagulls, or blind passenger Irish seagulls.
The question is answered an hour later when on another smoking tour of the sun deck I see land on the southern horizon.   Since the ship at some point overnight turned from travelling South to travelling East, this would be France !!!



The breakfast at 8:30 am French time (I have an hour before my table is reserved) underlines the fact that I'm getting further away from Ireland and am approaching France. Grilled Herring instead of Full Irish.  Smoked salmon, Camembert, and honey on baguette.  Vive la France!

And it all comes together when at 9:45 am the ship cruises along the French coast to get to Cherbourg at 11 am.  I am so happy and fortunate not to have taken a plane, just to arrive at ANOTHER STUPID AIRPORT. What is happening RIGHT NOW is soooo much more REAL.  I just took a ship from Ireland to France, and the significance only really becomes clear when staring at France over the separating bit of water.  Of course, when I thing all this to the logical end (or beginning), then all of this is Alan's fault, who got me started on ferries ;-)  Thank you, Mr. Poon!
French or German built?

Bienvenue a Cherbourg



No comments:

Post a Comment