Sunday, 26 June 2016

Cap Ferret, Aquitaine:(or In French holiday country and leaving something behind)

Waking up at 7 am, I am trying to figure out whether I dreamed all that stuff about pianos and light shows while rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.  A quick check of my computer files confirms my suspicion that all this was actually REAL.  But this post only gets finished TEN YEARs after the fact.  WTF?


Better weather than yesterday !
 At 9 am I am sufficiently awake to remember that there is that little ferry we tried to take yesterday evening but it had shut down service already.  So off we go to take a ferry before taking a shower.









Yes... it is 100% ELECTRIC







Time to take a train from Bordeaux to Arcachon:



The first thing we do in Arcachon is to head to the ocean for some food.   Somewhere here Zulema and I just look at each other.  The Temperature, the wind, the humidity have all come together to create the PERFECT climate at this hour.  It's a strange physical feeling of well-being that borders on the indecent ;-)






A very short while later we find out that the boat that was supposed to take us across Arcachon Bay does not actually start running until July 1st.  Which means it's time to cycle AROUND the Bay. 30 kilometers !








Welcome to holiday paradise !
















After reaching our hotel, we walk toward the beach and decide to eat dinner there:







I try on my African Pants that I just HAD TO buy from a vendor in Bordeaux ;-)
Unfortunately, Zulema informs me that they are see-through, LOL




Arcachon way across the bay

























There is GREAT bike paths leading towards the dunes and the ocean.   
A few minutes before reaching a car parking lot at the beach, I have the GREAT idea, to scale the dunes between us and the ocean to reach a more deserted part of the beach.  After walking through 100 meters of forest, we leave the bikes in a spot where we hope to find them again on the way back.


It's a WIDE Dune.  Hey, Is that Johnny Cash?










I had a purpose when I was coming here.


On the way here I was wearing one of George's favourite T-shirts. 
He should have been here.  If all had gone to plan.  

The plan was to travel the world together.  But that's how it is with plans. 

Man plans. God laughs.

So I'm stuck with leaving George's stuff in some of the places he should have seen.  There is NOTHING between this spot and the Statue of Liberty but Atlantic Ocean.  That's a good spot to bury a T-shirt me thinks.


In the sand it goes ....


















 On the way back I have to laugh.  Zu marked the way back through the dunes. Not with bread crumbs though, but with THIS.
 I refrain from Freudian comments, LOL.

After finding the bikes and pushing them back to the main path, we decide to pedal the remaining few meters to the parking lot that we had seen on the map.  As soon as we arrive we know that we did the RIGHT thing by scaling the dunes where we did.

A completely different vibe here and I would have been ashamed of burying George's shirt here. BUT there is a restaurant here, and Zu never had Moules Frites before ;-)















Too much sun today.....I look like a freshly boiled lobster.







When we pedal home with the sun directly behind us, I notice something and grab the camera while cycling.

I see something that Don Quixote would have seen with the sun in his back:


















No comments:

Post a Comment