Tuesday, 1 July 2014

To Hell in a hand basket (on a one way ticket)

I'm not sure whether Saturday's jumper bouquet on Alex Fraser Bridge brought on a FOUL mood or whether just being back in Vancouver is sufficient already.

The sight of yet another bouquet on Sunday, this time on Lions Gate Bridge, certainly did not improve my mood.

This city KILLS

 

 Then there was the strange sight of three black helicopters flying in file over Stanley Park towards Kitsilano. Police flying school or something more sinister?`


Actually, what really did had that effect on my mood was the news about the third part of the UN climate report.

 
How long have we been talking or arguing about global warming? When was it again when Al Gore ran for president?  The name Kyoto rings a bell, but not in my newly formed memories (Kyoto was 1997 (17 Years ago) . Did you know that Canada formally withdrew from the Kyoto accord (which became effective 2013) in 2012 so that we Canadians don't have to meet its emission limits.  I remember going on an e-bike ride on Cambie Bridge to remind Harper to stop CO2 emissions but that was a long time ago. 

Anyway: The whole point of the rambling is that EVERYONE has known about this for a LONG TIME (I was in my early 30s then, for fuck's sake ;-).

 
Have we bothered to do anything? ......OF COURSE NOT !

In today's news:  Emissions have risen to "unprecedented levels". READ:  Instead of emissions dropping, as is required, they are actually rising.
To keep global warming in a hopefully manageable range (LOL), the world (it might be fruitful to avoid words like us, them, etc) has to cut CO2 emissions by 40 to 70 percent by 2050. CUT.  That means reduce.  They are still rising. Why?  Because of YOU.  On your last trip, what was your mode of transportation?  Bus, walk, bike, or did you just take your car?  But relax, it's not only typical human ignorance (read stupidity):

The fate of the German economy is strongly linked to every Chinese driving his own automobile.

Jimmy Pattison owns coal mines in Alberta and consequently PROFITS from global warming  (SHAME on him!) (and NO, do NOT buy any gasoline-burning cars from his dealerships !!!) 

(ooooh, I'll probably grow horns just from having written that ;-).

You get the idea.
Does that mean we shouldn't even try?
Does leading by example even work?

 
Should I have taken my car on the 175 km trip over Vancouver Island?
Does anyone think that humanity is actually going to manage to get around that tight corner without skidding and getting stuck in the dirt or worse? To me it looks like so far we have done squat.

Why do I care?  I don't have kids who will have to live in a world we don't even dare to imagine today. 

I just detest the immeasurable ignorance of people. 


No comments:

Post a Comment