Wednesday 9 January 2019

Bai Bien Cua Toi (V-VI) Sloth, Sleep, Song Cau, Social engagements

I finally get up at 6:00.  That's another 10 hours of sleep!  I hope I will catch up with my sleep deficit soon.  Or maybe I'm turning into a sloth?


When I first step onto the terrace the sky is overcast and it is drizzling.  But only 10 minutes later.....













8:15

The kitchen area is deserted.  
Has there been a Tsunami warning that no one told me about?
My breakfast consists of trai dua (pineapple) and chuoi (banana), the former of which is store-bought and thus probably 'kosher', LOL.


9:30
I get my passport from the hotel owner and head to town.

The bank clerk with the pink lipstick recognizes me ;-)  By now I know the routine and probably could manage it in Vietnamese intermixed with sign language.  But the clerk in this tiny branch in this small town speaks English!

I get 23.192 VND for the dollar (Google lists the official exchange rate at 23.195, LOL, Vietnamese banks don't even rip their customers off in currency exchange. How VERY unlike home ;-)

I leave with a brick of money and my first stop is the wine store, LOL.

Hai chai vang trang va hai chai vang do !

And a banh mi cha lua can't hurt either ;-)


Time to stop at TheGiodidong (Yup, it's REALLY called that) Electronics Market. This is the Vietnamese equivalent of the Canadian Best Buy or the German MediaMarkt.  

I brought an old laptop with a grounded US plug, which doesn't fit into Vietnamese power outlets.  So I want to buy an adapter.   I show the plug to the staff and indicate an adapter with sign language.    They ask me to have a seat on a special-care counter.  ?!?   Another employee shows up and starts rummaging through the desk drawers.  Then she pulls out the necessary adapter.   
I am delighted and ask her how much I should pay.   

She shakes her head with a smile and indicates I can go.


WTF?


Is it any wonder I love this country so much?


Continuing on my way back, I spot gorgeous orchids, but I simply have no way to transport them on this scooter without the risk of the wind tearing all flowers off.

A-stop is always a good choice to pee or to buy cookies ;-)
This kind of weather would have been called Kaiserwetter a while ago ;-)




14:00
And MORE sleep, LOL.
15:30
In 2.5 hours I'm invited for dinner at Muoi & Chau's place again.   I think I might have solved the issue of what to bring as a Thank You.

I schlepped that old laptop (the one I got the adapter for) to Viet Nam for the sole reason of giving it to Muoi's family, so that her kids might it find easier to become computer literate and maybe even to use DuoLingo to help them learn English. 

Tu\ng's new computer !
And after Tu\ng was proud to show off his newly school-learned English phrases a few days ago, I feel even more confident that this is the right thing to do ;-)  We'll see how it goes.

17:15

I'm just about to get ready to go for dinner, when Quang shows up.   He's still a darling and invites me for breakfast tomorrow at 8:00.   But then I have to excuse myself to take that shower ...

17:55

When I climb on my scooter, I see Chau who came to the hotel looking for me, LOL.
The summary:
Tu\ng gets BIG EYES when he sees the computer; Chau just gives me the double-handed Thank You.   
I did the right thing ;-)
Dinner is fabulous.  Muoi used to be the cook in my hotel and I ask her tongue-in-cheek WHY she never cooked this well at the hotel.  She just grins.
More evidence that one should not include people's names when speaking into Google Translate:   Since they are pronounced the same, the computer turns Chau (my host) into 'trau' (Water buffalo).
Another issue settled: The loan will be dealt with by way of continued scooter rental.  The relief is evident in how Chau says "Tank you" ;-)
Overall, everyone is happy, and, as I phrase it, "Chung toi la ban".


20:30

Time to pass out again, me thinks ....
5:30
I could sleep more .... but then I shouldn't miss the light show!


7:20
Damned.   The other side of the coins of the social engagements:  I'm having breakfast with Quang in 40 minutes, so I must get ready now .....

I get to Quang at 8:00 and I see a Western face sitting in his living room.   And he looks strangely familiar.  It's the Austrian man I've met at The Beach last March, together with his Kim, his Vietnamese woman/companion/friend. 

She asks me where my wife is. LOL. I reply "toi la be de". She laughs and 2 minutes later repeats that to the returned Quang.  He just smiles.
Conversation flows....I am relieved that I don't have to speak Google-Vietnamese with Quang the whole time.

Of course, I forget AGAIN to say NO because I don't want to be unfriendly, even though in Vietnam one is supposed to say NO twice before accepting.   So I will be back for grilling at 17:00.   
MUST REMEMBER to say NO!

Back at my place, a crab got lost on my terrace.  

 It stares into my camera as if it was petrified.  No hole to flee into to hide !


11:30
Holy SLOTH, so much sleep.

12:00

I'm due at Quang's at 17:00 but I'm also still supposed to ride to Song Cau for some wine & flowers.  But it continues to drizzle ..... what to do ?  Get wet or show up empty-handed?




14:00

Back from Song Cau with 4 bottles of wine and 2 orchids.  At least I won't arrive at today's event with empty hands like the times before ;-)



Like always after a few days at The Beach a certain feeling of BLAH sets in.   The euphoria of meeting all the familiar faces again is diminishing...... and now what?   Still getting over the Vancouver LOW.

 If it was sunny, I'd drown that BLAH feeling in the ocean 4 times a day, but on this overcast day it is hard to fight.







The remedy?   Find something to do.......  keep improving....
I've brought two watches over from Canada, the usual and a new one.   Within two minute I've taken the leather watch band off the new one and put the sterling Native watch ends from the old watch onto the new one.




















16:50

I've talked for a while to M's father.  Am I delusional or is the conversation with me making him into a softer and more gentle person?   There is always hope ;-)

19:15

Dinner was fabulous.  Pigeon from the grill.   Fabulous!
The hosts were a tad overwhelmed (the hostess' mother is sick).
The co-dinners added the opportunity to speak German & English to the mix.

I'm dead-tired again at 19:30 !




No comments:

Post a Comment