Friday 9 November 2018

2 more nights in Malaga (Frantically Finding FedEx & Securing Shelter & Shipping)


17:30

I'm finally back in my apartment..... EXHAUSTED....  What is THAT ?!
An e-mail from my clients...... it's the same matter that cost me hair loss FIVE weeks ago.... I thought the matter was buried by now.   
NO, this e-mail is subjected URGENT and in the body it says:

"Please FEDEX copy of document to XYZ attorney in PRETORIA ASAP"


Well, that one made my imminent decision for me: I am NOT flying to Morocco tomorrow because I will have to deal with this issue....  

The life of a Digital Nomad is not as simple as it sometimes looks !

20:00

The last errand of the day completed:
I'm back from the supermercado at the corner..... with steaming hot FRESH baguette ..... 
....add Spanish ham.... and all the worries in the world just evaporate..... Ambrosia !


21:30


It is DONE. 


I have hit the CONFIRM BUTTON.



I have overcome the inner timid Schweinehund



Tomorrow will be busy with work stuff ;-(



But the day after.......



....I'm going to AFRICA !     



5:00

I'm wide awake but still tired..... WTF?
Must be the stress of today's and tomorrow's schedule.



7:00

OK, MUST get up now






10:00
Let's find a Copy Shop......  OH, there is one 5 minutes walk away...

WOW.


1.30 Euros for something like 40 pages being printed...... NOT bad....
Time to sign all the documents.......


I've booked my flight back to Vancouver...... Direct flights from Paris or Frankfurt to Vancouver (one way !!!) cost on the order of CAD$ 2500..  Iceland Air STILL wants $1300 for a 13 hour flight with a stop-over in Reykjavik .... But good old Air Transat only charges $600 for an 18 hour flight with a 5 hour stop-over in Montreal .....That's a saving of AT LEAST $700 !  In other words: During the 5 hours of the lay-over I'm being more than$100 per hour for taking the cheap flight ;-)


12:00

It's time to travel to the FedEx store......  Google Maps says it's a half hour ride with bus # 20..... and the bus stop is just on the other side of the canal ;-)

MIERDA........ This bus stop IS NO MORE.....

.....but I figure out the Spanish that directs me to the NEW bus stop.... and here is the bus already .... Fare?  Only 1.30 Euros?  NOT bad ;-)
 25 minutes later, I jump out of a bus only to find myself in an INDUSTRIAL AREA.....   Aren't FedEx mailing centres usually located in business districts?   Was Google Maps WRONG?
 Let's just say that FedEx Spain is not quite the same as in North America...... I have to ring a DOOR BELL of a Spanish Shipping company to get into the building...... Someone shows up and says he will get The Fedex Guy, LOL.........

Couriering an Envelope?   SURE we can do that..... WE just have to call MADRID and let them charge it to your credit card....  Mr. FedEx knows what he is doing.... all the information is submitted to Madrid (I'm paying 140 Euros to courier 40 sheets to Pretoria) and my sheets of paper get stuffed into a FedEx envelope...... 

 Let's hope it gets there  !  

Back to the bus stop..... 

this time I have to wait for 15 minutes....

And then the bus DOES NOT take the route along the stop where I got in!  I realize just in time that all of a sudden it is actually getting further and Further and FURTHER away from my place, so I hop out the next station and start walking...... that's all I needed !$%#%%^$!



14:00

Exhausted (!) and back at the apartment....I book hotels in Vancouver, and for the layover at Charles de Gaulle Airport.  An Ibis Hotel....... what am I thinking?..... but it minimizes lugging my backpacks around because it's RIGHT THERE !

What's next?   Oh right.... I don't have anywhere to stay tomorrow night..... and I'll be in Morocco......   And HOW do I get from Casablanca Airport to the City?..... HOW did people ever travel before the internet...... ALL the information is right at one's finger tips ;-)

There is a train at the airport ..... and if I take it to Casa Port Station..... Now let's check Booking.com in just that area.........OK, found one!  OH, and it's RIGHT in the MEDINA and it's only CAD$ 45 per night,LOL.   
I am GOOD at THIS ;-)


17:30
I'm still tired and exhausted.....  I'm sure the rain on the terrace does not help!

20:30

Feeling slightly better...
More preparations for tomorrow's journey to Parts Unknown.......
Hotel is booked !

Oh, Western media ignored this, I only learn of it from the ONCF website...

....there was a big train accident in Morocco about 3 weeks ago ....

I'm still going to ride the Marrakesh Express though, LOL.


22:30

Grandma sounds good on the phone.... but naturally not entirely happy and a bit envious about my added itinerary.....

Speaking of that:  Airportsmokers.com already warns me that there will be NO SMOKING inside the terminal at Malaga tomorrow...... Let's just hope that Royal Air Maroc flies on time !





No comments:

Post a Comment