Tuesday 21 November 2017

Overnight in Sai Gon (that name ring a bell?)

Where?


Does THIS VIDEO give a sufficient nudge to the memory banks?   The US embassy in Saigon being evacuated by helicopter 42 years ago.  Uncle Ho Chi Minh was dead by this time and was not able to witness the historic result of his life-long struggles.   After the Chinese, the French, the Americans, finally Vietnam to the Vietnamese. 


15:00

I'm sitting in my favourite (CHEAP and sufficiently comfortable) hotel in Sai Gon and I get an e-mail.  It has an attachment:
That is Eda sending me a picture as proof that it is safe to come back to Vancouver because my local Denny's stocked up their wine fridge, LOL. (Note the Rose ;-)
I'm staying in a 1 * hotel.   Shabby, you think?   Nice top floor room with a huge planted terrace, nice bathroom and even a fridge in the room.  BUT: no hot-water kettle.  Which sucks for an early riser who wants his coffee.   The Guesthouse only has one kettle, which they lend me but BEG me to return before their guests get up in the morning to drink coffee.   Not really a problem, but I'm going to stay in this place at least another 3 times in the coming 6 weeks.  And there are other hotels that I routinely stay in without a kettle.  
How much could a hot water kettle be?
145,000 VND or US$ 6.38  is the answer.  Would be silly NOT to buy one and leave it here until my next arrival in 11 days, eh?

After increasing my caffeine level and some sink laundry, I head to Coopmart again.   I'm sure they have some nice shirts on the 2nd level. After all, it's the same store chain from which I bought those fab shirts in Chau Doc.  I resist the urge to splurge on 2 shirts but I do come away with one nice shirt for US$ 7.88.   


19:00

Oh, how extremely sweet.  I get an e-mail from Nana. They miss me as much as I miss them.  Why does this always happen in Vietnam ? 
Oh NO.
Today is the day.
For breakfast I get to enjoy the sunrise over Sai Gon.


The sunset (if it is at all visible through the clouds) will be somewhere completely different.

The kettle and the corkscrew stay here (I wonder whether I will ever see them again) and I walk to the bus stop .....

No comments:

Post a Comment